The Center for Mathematics, Fundamental Applications and Operations Research (CMAFcIO) is a R&D Unit of the Faculty of Sciences of the University of Lisbon. It was established in 2015 following the process of evaluation of R&D Units (2013) promoted by FCT (the Portuguese national funding agency for science, research and technology).
CMAFcIO is the result of a merge between two previous R&D units:
- CMAF (Center for Mathematics, Fundamental Applications) with 8 research groups:
- Hyperbolic Systems and Singularities in PDEs
- Stochastic Analysis, Mathematical Physics and Applications
- Mathematical and numerical methods in Mechanics
- Differential and Functional Equations
- Mathematical Biology
- Nonlinear Analysis and Free Boundary Problems
- CIO (Center for Operations Research)
At the time of the merge into CMAFcIO, the research team was organized into 7 groups . Its first Directive Board (2015-17) was composed by Luís Sanchez (coordinator), Luís Gouveia and José Francisco Rodrigues. The Advisory Committe was composed by: Gilles Lebeau, Irene Fonseca, Martine Labbé and Odo Dieckmann.